The REACH Program is a Non-Degree Certificate Program
Transfer credits from other colleges or postsecondary programs are not accepted.
Applying to the REACH Program!
You can download the REACH Program application for 2017-2018 HERE.
Who should apply?
- Have a mild intellectual and/or developmental disability and/or a disability that significantly interferes with their academic performance, social development, and independent living skills;
- Have been eligible for special education and/or related services under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA);
- Be at least 18-years old and have completed a high school program;
- Have the ability to read and complete math at a functional level;
- Demonstrate the ability to accept responsibility for his/her actions and have no history of disruptive or challenging behaviors (the REACH Program does not have the personnel needed to manage behavioral issues);
- Be independent in handling his/her specialized dietary and/or medical needs, including medication (the REACH staff will not manage, supervise, or administer medication);
- Independently demonstrate a desire to attend the REACH Program at the College of Charleston; and
- Agree to participate in all courses, sessions, internships, and employment training.
- Complete and submit the application packet (include all required documentation and the application fee).
- Completed application packets will be reviewed by the Admissions Review Committee beginning in October.
- Students are notified by mail if they have been selected for an interview. If selected, the applicant must participate in the interview process with and without reinforcement from family/support persons and must complete a writing sample during the interview.
- Students are notified by mail if they have been selected for admission into the REACH Program.
- Applicants accepted into the REACH Program must be available to attend a two-day College of Charleston Freshman Orientation in the summer.
- The REACH Program admits ten (10) students per year.
The REACH Program is not a dual-enrollment program.
All applications must include the following information:
- Student Application and $50 application fee made out to College of Charleston;
- Student Questionnaire to be completed by the applicant (student) – please indicate if a scribe is used;
- Personal Support Questionnaire completed by parent;
- Official High School Transcript including discipline records (must be sent directly by school);
- Behavioral records;
- Current IEP which serves as evidence of applicant’s eligibility for special education and related services under the IDEA;
- Current Educational Evaluations (conducted within the past three (3) years);
- Psychological/Behavioral Evaluation (within last three (3) years);
- Three (3) Letters of Recommendation forms from non-family members who have known the applicant for at least three (3) years. Recommendations should include at least one (1) from an educator. Recommendation forms are included in the packet; and
- If applicable, copy of guardianship agreement.